Officially, the Arab Republic of Egypt, Arabic: جمهورية مصر العربية) is in north-eastern Africa however part of the country lies in the Middle East and the Sinai Peninsula extends into Asia.
Egypt is bordered by Israel to the north-east, Sudan to the south and Libya to the west. The country is bounded by the Mediterranean and Red Seas (north and east respectively). Dominated by the Nile River and by the Eastern and Western deserts.
Egypt is best known as the home of the ancient Egyptian civilization, with its temples, hieroglyphs, mummies, and its pyramids. Egypt stimulates the imagination of western tourists and is probably one of the most popular tourist destinations world-wide.
- Luxor – gateway to the Valley of the Kings, amongst other fabulous attractions
- Hurghada – a town on the Red Sea, filled with all-inclusive resorts and diving
- Daha – backpacker central, with excellent scuba diving
- Memphis & Saqqara – both filled with relics and ruins of ancient Egypt, they’re often combined as a day trip from Cairo
- Sharm-el-Sheikh – a hugely popular resort town on the Sinai peninsula, with some of the best scuba diving in the world
- St. Katherine – home to the oldest continually inhabited monastery, Mount Sinai and Mount Katherine (highest mountain in Egypt) and truly Bedouin culture
- Taba Heights – purpose built resort with views of Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia.